Okay, now that that is out of the way, let me admit that I have been to a strip club before. It was in Atlanta, years ago and I went with some college friends, one of whom really wanted to know what it would be like. That experience was tame - the stripper danced on the stage and made his way over to my friend, lets call her Antonia. She giggled like a little school girl, and it was over.
But, what I saw on Saturday night at a place called Duvet in NYC, was far from tame. It was PURE DEBAUCHERY and even for me that's saying something, lol! Listen, there were women screaming in delight, there were women writhing in ecstasy (yes, you read right - ecstasy) and some, the particularly drunk ones, were either face flat on the floor or screaming that they wanted, 'sexual relations' with the source of their entertainment. That is no exaggeration,my people.
Now, I'm a "live and let live person" and I don't have the energy to judge most people. I'm too busy potty training my boys and getting my daughter ready for school. Besides, I'm like anyone else - I've made silly decisions and considering what I know now, would do certain things differently, like .... we don't need to go there. Nonetheless, these women at the club made my friends and I feel like old prudes. And,may I just say that we are no angels. Yet, we were there, mouth agape, covering our eyes (one guy was swinging his 'package' in some happy lady's face) and frankly, impressed at the strength of some of the entertainers, I mean some of them worked super hard for their money, lifting women in heavy looking chairs and all.
I have to share a couple of my observations post-strip club and I have chosen to speak to many of the ladies that were in attendance at Duvet the night I was there (I should have walked on stage and taken the microphone to say the following):
- Ladies, calm down. It is just a strip club. You don't get any prizes.
- Ladies, the strippers are there to work for their money. Please do not follow them around the club, waving dollar bills in their face to get your attention. They want your money.
- Ladies, if the girls you come with allow you to put your hand down a stranger's member or allow that stranger to put his head up your dress, those girls are not your true friend, or you are all um, well, I did say I wouldn't judge, right?
- Ladies, all those acrobatics you do with strippers in front of a crowd of strangers should at least be repeated at home with your man. And, if you don't have one, well, fine, I guess you are doing 'practicals' to improve your skills.
- Ladies, drinking vodka straight from the bottle is not ladylike and while you might want to "wild out", consider that the possible consequence is you, face down on a disgusting New York City street (and believe me, NY streets are DISGUSTING). Ewwww.
- Ladies, strippers are a waste of money. Think about it.
I do not have a problem with strippers, be they male or female. To each his/her own. Grown people are allowed to do grown things. That is between them and their maker. But, I could not believe that I was capable of being shocked by human beings. And in the future, I will only be in the presence of strippers for the sake of a very, very, very good friend. Good, thing that was the case this weekend because, despite the debauchery, I had a great time.
PS: I really think that too much alcohol brings out the worst in some people.
PPS: Yes, there are pictures, but I didn't take them and so have to wait until they are sent to me, before I can share some of them here. But, if they are NSFW, I likely won't put them up. Either way, keep an eye for an update!